Summer Reading


Today I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to find a topic to write about. As I haven't gone anywhere or doing anything for the entirety of the day, I know how bad that sounds but I tend to think of it more as having a lazy day, I became a bit puzzled as to what I could possibly write about. And then as I was sitting at the breakfast table eating a bowl of chocolaty coco pops it hit me.

My summer reading list.

I am the type of girl who can spend hours getting lost in a good book. Whether it's a romance, adventure, horror, drama, or mystery book I'm interested in what that book has to offer. Because of this I have read quite a long list of books I have enjoyed and will treasure and during the summer my list has it's biggest impact of growth from even more books. I usually spend rainy days, lazy days, beach days, sunny days, basically mostly any day reading. There's nothing like getting lost in the pages of a brand new book, especially when the book you read has characters or a character that you can relate to. Having that feature always seems to make the book more enjoyable and captivating.

So today I'm going to share with you my summer reading list of 2014. Here are just a few of the books that I have enjoyed  so far...



(From top to bottom)

Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island. (By Mike Tucker): On a lonely stretch of Welsh coastline a fisherman is killed by a hideous creature from beneath the waves. When the Doctor and Rose arrive, they discover a village where the children are plagued by nightmares, and the nights are ruled by monsters. The villagers suspect that ailing industrialist Nathanial Morton is to blame, but the Doctor has suspicions of his own.
As the children's nightmares get worse, the Doctor and Rose discover an alien plot to resurrect an ancient evil...

Why?: I chose this book because I loved it. It had the right amount of mystery and PG thriller to make this novel a very exciting read. Also I love Doctor Who and getting the chance to add a Doctor Who novel to my summer reading list was something I couldn't miss out on. I want to add as well that I really love to read any of the Doctor Who books because for a diehard fan like me it keeps the story of the Doctor going and the more adventures I can get, the better!

A Clash of Kings. (By George R.R. Martin): A comet the colour of  blood and flame cuts across the sky. And from the ancient citadel of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six fractions struggle for control of a divided eland and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale which brother plots against brither and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades an orphan boy; a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend form the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest and fratricide, alchemy, and murder, victory may go to the men and woman possessed of the coldest steel ... and the coldest heart. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles.#

Why?: This book made it to my list because about a month or two ago a friend of mine started reading the first book in the Game of Thrones series and talked to me about how good it was. After telling me it was probably not a book that I would enjoy I decided to give it a chance. And I proved him wrong! I have loved this book so far and have yet to finish it. George R.R. Martin is a very detailed writer which means that concentrating on the book when reading it would be vital, also you may want to be in a quiet area when reading. The details that this book provided are ones that you would want to pay very close attention to. At least that's what I got out of it anyway. I love this book and I would definitely recommended it to any person who's big on history, fantasy, or adventure books.

The Fault in Our Stars. (By John Green): Despite the tumour- shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years. Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Why?: Now if you don't already know about the Fault in Our Stars where exactly have you been? This book has made it into my summer book list for obvious reasons. It's a sweet and touching love story that revolves around two people who understand how precious each other are and how time is not something that can be bought back or even saved. John Green does an excellent job of providing each of the characters with their own special and unique personalities. Which then helps support the plot and rest of the story through the struggles, love, and pain. I would defiantly recommended this book to anyone who has in interest in romance, character development, or just looking for a good book to read. I promise you won't be disappointed.

An Abundance of Katherine's. (By John Green): 19 Katherine's and counting... When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.
On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a blood-thirsty feral hog on his trail-but no Katherine's. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl.

Why?: I want to just say that I haven't yet read this book but I really liked the sound of it when I picked it up and read it's blurb on the back. Also because of John Green's book The Fault in Our Stars, and of how much I liked it. I thought I would give this book a shot. I'm hoping if you also have read The Fault in Our Stars, and liked it, you will too!

Fangirl (By Rainbow Rowell):  Cath and Wren are identical twins and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more- she wants to dance, meet boys, got to parties, and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She would rather bury herself in the fanfiction she writes where there's romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life.
Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realizing that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible...

Why?: I'm going to ne honest with this book, not that wasn't with the others, but when I first saw this book I was drawn into it by the cover. Now I know that you shouldn't ever judge a book by it's cover but when the cover of the book has a girl typing on her laptop whilst sitting upon the word fangirl and having a cute boy stare up at her with admiration I couldn't help but feel like this book's cover sums up my entire life, everything apart from the cute boy of course. I don't know where he is yet.
Anyway, when I flipped the book over and read the blurb on the back I had one of those moments that readers sometimes get when they feel like they can relate to a certain character. The characters name is Cath and similarly to me she's a nerdy girl who likes to stay away from parties and instead write fanfiction creating a world that's all of her own, while her sister, who oddly enough is also quite similar to my sister, goes out to parties, meets guys, and just lets loose. The story revolves around Cath's time at university and the struggles, friends she makes and events that she has to go through while she is there. I would recommend this to someone who is just starting university as maybe you'd be able to relate to Cath and some of the things she goes through. Also if you're a complete geek or nerd like I am you may also like this book as well.

Well those were some of my recommendations for now. I honestly wasn't exacting for this post to have been so long even though I could put a ton more on here but I wouldn't want to make todays blog post any longer than it needed be. I hope you enjoyed reading about some of those books. They are all amazing each in their own way and definitely deserve to be read by all the many readers that are out there.

Until next time,

Aimee :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top