Girl Online | Book Review


Hello!

Since my last book review of Eleanor & Park I have wanted to do another book review really badly but alas I became busy and could hardly find time to read which mean't I was unable to write a post for a book review because I had no book to write about!

Recently, however, I have finally found some time to start reading again! Which means more book review posts! Yayyyyy!

If you can't tell I am actually really excited. :)




The book that I have decided to do a book review on is Girl Online! Yes, I know I'm very late to the party. But better late then never, right? Or something along those lines... 

Here are some pictures of my copy of the book front & back...




So to start this book review off let me tell you some of the basic things about this book.

This book is of the young-adult, romance, and contemporary genres. It is by Zoe Sugg/Ghostwriter. And it is the first book in the series of Girl Online books.

So before I start my review on this book I just want to let you know that these posts, as well as my other types of posts, are going to be completely 100% honest. In this case it's going to be my honest opinion about the books that I read. My goal by doing these books review posts is to inform the person who may be reading them (you!) about what the books are about and in my opinion some of the pros and cons about the books I will be writing about.
I just want to make it clear, in case I haven't already, that the thoughts that I express about this book are my opinions. If you decide to give this book a go then you may find that you have a different opinion on whether or not it's your kind of book. Which is absolutely fine.

I also wanted to add that this review and all my future book reviews are going to be spoiler free!

Okay, so now that I have gotten that out of the way, let's get onto the actual review!

I guess I'll start with an overview first! How does that sound? Good, at least I'm hoping you think that that's a good idea. :)

Overview

This book is about a girl named Penny who runs an online blog called Girl Online where she posts they typical blog posts of a 16 year old school girl. The blog is an anonymous blog, which is why it's called Girl Online and why she always signs off of her blog posts as "girl online, going offline." Penny also suffers from panic attacks and has a very interesting family. The overall book, without giving away any spoilers, is basically about a small chuck of Penny's life starting just before winter break and the adventures that she get's up to whilst over her break as well. This book isn't really filled with any twits and turns, although.... never mind, spoilers! It's many focused on the romance and drama that can happen to any 16 year old teenage girl.

Thoughts and Opinions

I enjoyed reading this book. It was a nice, easy read and it had a good story-line. I felt like I could connect to the main protagonist in some aspects quite well physically and emotionally. Although I've never experienced panic attacks it was interesting to read and see what they were like through Penny's perspective. I like when I can gain insights about different experiences from characters in novels it's very interesting. I also liked the character development that Penny went through. It was quite realistic.
However, there were some things that I thought were not so great as well. I wasn't really a big fan of the fact that there wasn't really a backstory mentioned about Penny. The book just jumps into her life without giving her any real depth as a character. Yes, there are certain things that are mentioned about Penny's past, but not enough to satisfy me as a reader. I felt like the story line, though it's good, moves very quickly and feels somewhat rushed, which could have been for a number of reasons. I also have very strong opinions about the ending as well, but as I am trying to keep this post as spoiler free as possible it would be hard for me to share them with you. I also felt that this novel was directed at an audience that was younger than my age, although that's definitely not a bad thing.

Other things

I would recommend this book to people who like romance, a fast read, or who want to possibly be reminded of the drama that high school can bring.  This book was a good one but not the best book I've ever read. But don't let that discourage you from reading it!

And that's that!

I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post! I plan on doing some more book reviews in the future but if you enjoyed reading this post then let me know and I'll be even more encouraged to do some!

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you back here again soon,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow @ Instagram

Back to Top